Fun Art Professor - Inspiring & Nurturing Creativity in Young Children

Operational Info
Picture Books
The "Fun Art" of Writing
powered by

My Blog

Adventures in Color - Spring Trees Part 2

“The purest and most thoughtful minds are those which love color the most. ”  - John Ruskin

A character on a short lived television comedy titled, Welcome to New York, remarked on that city's clothing style saying, “We wear black. And that's only until they invent something darker”.

I lived near Miami for 3 years. When we first moved there from New York, my wardrobe truly did consist of mostly black, brown and tan. (and that was my summer wardrobe)  My husband looked at me one day and said, “You need to get some colorful clothes."

He was right.

After that point, I began to revel in the myriad of color in South Florida, not only in the peoples' wardrobes, but also in the almost endless blue skies and the colorful flora & fauna.

Our yard was a sanctuary to butterflies that were attracted to the nearly year long blooming, hot pink Bougainvillea bushes and the deep purple Mexican Petunias.

Flocks of wild green parrots regularly flew over our house.

When we moved back to New York in January 2012, I felt starved for color. I found myself rifling through the racks at Target, looking for winter scarves that would afford me the opportunity to layer, at least a hint of brightness, on top of my “back in New York” black winter jacket.

Color Excites
Remember that feeling as a child, when breaking open a brand new box of crayons?

I had that same inner gasp as I spied our first spring flowers valiantly braving the cold, popping out against the dull brown dirt and bark.

It is a worthy goal to work at bringing more color into your child's life.

Spring Cleaning for the Imagination

I came upon this beautiful watercolor by Robin Meade soon after writing my last blog post about coaxing spring along.

You can find this  mixed media collage with acrylic, hand painted papers and ink on Etsy.  https://www.etsy.com/listing/128428288/serendippity-16-x-20-inch-mixed-media

Inspired by Robin's patterned leaves, I realized you could get a similar effect by cutting leaf shapes out of colorful catalog images and glue-sticking them onto the bare winter branches.

(see instructions on how to create the tree branches in the previous post, "Spring, Where Are You ?")

You can also incorporate “shape” lessons for a younger child by cutting out squares, triangles or circles to apply to the branches for an abstract tree.

Catalogs are blooming with bright spring shades right now!

Bring more color into your creative time with your child by cutting out colorful images from catalogs and magazines for future use in collaging projects.

(Hint - if you do this, store the cut outs in a designated box so they don't make a clutter mess of your house.)

See if your child can spot which pillow patterns I cut out to make the leaves on the trees.

A Variation

Karen Wojcinski, an elementary art teacher passed along this idea.

Karen shared, "I do a similar project with my kindergarten. I show them a picture of Van Gogh's beautiful apple tree, and a bit more of Van Gogh's work. We then do the finger paint dipped technique using white and a little magenta paint."

Beautiful!  Thanks, Karen, for the great idea.

12 Comments to Adventures in Color - Spring Trees Part 2:

Comments RSS
Molly on Saturday, May 04, 2013 2:22 PM
Magazines have such wonderful and colorful images! I had a school project one year to make a poster about friends. I took a doll magazine and cut all different dolls out of them and pated them on poster board. I loved doing it! I also enjoy cutting pictures out of magazines to draw from. Drawing from real photos make your pictures detailed.
Reply to comment

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 on Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:01 AM
win 7 keystore , windows 10 activation number of days , windows 10 activation force , Microsoft Office visio pro 2013 & Download , windows 10 activator youtube , window 7 activation key free , buy Office professional 2016 product key online , key upgrade windows 7 home premium to professional 64 bit , sY56hO
office pro 2016 buy
windows 10 product keys and iso download
Genuine windwos 7 pro keys and download
windows server 2016 essentials key sale online
buy cheap windows 10 professional product key

The cheap celine trapeze bags of different brand succeed in distinct qualities . Romeo Gigli on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:08 AM
In establishment over the past 10 years, celine bag boutique development throughout the China , German , Japan and Brazil and other places. Currently in Tokyo , metropolis , and metropolis , Asia Pacific and other popularity city opened 21 flagship store and 7 hypemarket . In 2013 , celine bag discount fashion landmark in large city opened its for
Reply to comment

ArtMom on Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:02 PM
Great ideas! I love the watercolor tree branches - what fun. Thanks for sharing.
Reply to comment

MBA Admissions Consultants in Pune on Saturday, November 16, 2013 7:38 AM
Best admissions consultants for admissions to ISB, Kellogg, Cornell, Darden, Tepper, Duke etc. Look at their sample essays and avail free consultations
Reply to comment

strona www on Sunday, August 17, 2014 10:27 AM
Inside, warm in addition to traditional morceau can look very good through sprawling curtains and also cotton Just looking at the high quality additionally, the company should certainly create a difference
Reply to comment

Wholesale Lingerie on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 8:54 PM
Wholesale Sexy Lingerie,High Quality!Low Price! Wholesale Leggings,Plus Size Corsets,Wholesale Halloween Costumes From China Suppliers LingeriePark.Wholesale Only,No Retail!
Reply to comment

Comfortable Stay on Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:09 AM
Hotel in Delhi : Hotel Inn Tawang is a centrally located business hotel in Karol Bagh offering comfortable and affordable stay and closely located to Karol Bagh Market.
Reply to comment

New Car EMI Free on Monday, April 20, 2015 4:35 AM
adonspeed.in ’s innovative concept turns privately-owned cars into advertising platforms, while you pay 25% and we pay 75% of total Amount
Reply to comment

Diagnostic Center India on Monday, April 20, 2015 6:19 AM
Bio Path Care is one of the best diagnostic center in Delhi for complete health check ups, blood test, blood count test, blood group testing, urea, diabetes, thyroid, hcv and blood test for pregnancy, Offices are in Delhi
Reply to comment

Website Designing in Delhi on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:36 AM
Magxp is a Web Solution company offering website design, Web development and Seo services in Delhi-Ncr. Get a new design for your website every month, so that your website is never out dated.
Reply to comment

Manali Volvo Tour on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 6:04 AM
The Amazing Trip is the known amongst the best travel agents in Delhi, Rohini Area. whether you want to travel South india or North India. We are ready with pleasing packages all over India.
Reply to comment