Fun Art Professor - Inspiring & Nurturing Creativity in Young Children

Operational Info
Picture Books
The "Fun Art" of Writing
powered by

My Blog

Color My World

Rosanne had given birth to a (how shall I put it?) rather high spirited son, Eddie.

At least one item in our house would get broken, every time, during an “Eddie visit”.

Even though toy guns were not allowed in their house, Eddie would creatively chew cookies, toast and celery stalks into armament shapes.

One day, upon observing a four limbed, floor pounding
outburst at  one of our weekly playgroup get- togethers, Rosanne reflected, “I wish I could do that when I'm not happy about
something".

Of course, that would be socially unacceptable. Your sanity as an adult would also be in question if you escaped into the serene confines of a couch fort.

A Delightful & Respectable Way to Escape Reality for Awhile - Coloring

A meditative activity for youngsters and adults, the coloring theme has  many variations beyond the single,  humble  Crayola.

FUN ART 101

Check out these  "crayon rocks".

Crayon Rocks  were developed by a special ed teacher and designed to strengthen the tripod grip muscles in young children, preparing fingers and hands for handwriting.
Recent research has confirmed how important developing the tripod grip is for the brain development of young children.

For children, the crayons are just plain fun with their colorful, pebble-like shapes, smooth texture and beautiful colors. You can find them at:

Tape together different crayon color combinations and doodle to your heart's delight.

You can combine them in 3's or 4's, flat or stacked.

These rainbow crayons, always a big hit with my students from ages 2 1/2 - 10, are a colorful addition to any drawing.

They can be purchased at orientaltrading.com. They come in packs of 25, but are only $9.95. You can always put the extras in birthday party goodie bags.

For an extra creative step, you can go to  google for " instructions on how to make your own rainbow crayons".  It's also a good way to use up little cracked crayons.

Chalk coloring on black construction paper  is another fun variation.

IMPORTANT - Dip the dry chalk into water before having toddlers draw with it.

The chalk dust can be harmful to their developing little lungs.

If your child creates a particular drawing that you want to preserve, use a spray fixative for pastels, available at any art /craft store or online. (pastels is a fancy art term for chalk)

FUN ART 102

One of my favorite art toys is the watercolor pencil.

I so admire the talent of accomplished watercolor painters. It seems to me to be a very unforgiving art medium. However, when done well, the effects are captivating.

I am not an accomplished watercolor painter.  But as you can see by my partially completed pretty parrot, watercolor pencils are a tool that can give quite a satisfactory result for  a "fun" artist.

A Few Tips for Watercolor Pencil Coloring

1. Watercolor pencils are best utilized by children who have already learned how to do handwriting.

2. If possible, use watercolor paper for best results.

3. Tape the watercolor paper to heavy cardboard with masking tape around its edges. Leave the paper taped to the cardboard till it dries.

4. Note the unfinished parts of the parrot drawing. That is how the color is first applied....draw darkened, somewhat thick lines of the color around the shapes. Then blend the colors to the center of the shape with a wet paintbrush.
There are good art tutorials with more details on how to color with watercolor pencils at the below links.

"Fun" Art - Advanced Honors Class

Crayon Rainbow

I am intrigued by this art project. It is actual crayons hot glued to a canvas board then heated with a hair dryer to get the colored wax to drip down.

I have not tried it myself yet, but am about to ask a good friend if she would like to make one together with me for the nursery room she is decorating for her first grandchild. This is definately a project that would need adult supervision if done by a child.

Here is the link for the melted crayon tutorial. Let me know if it works for you.
tutorial/

For more inspiration and ideas for this project, go to Google Images and search for "melted crayons on canvas".

21 Comments to Color My World:

Comments RSS
Molly on Monday, January 21, 2013 6:16 PM
So many colors! It's amazing how crayons are shaped into all different things. I have seen one of the melted crayon art in my school. It is hanging outside a classroom as a present to a teacher. It looks amazing and I would like to try it sometime.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 on Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:06 AM
windows 7 enterprise activation key download for sale , window 7 activation code , windows 10 activation zip , windows 7 free product key , windows anytime upgrade code free vista , windows 10 key sale online , buy Office professional 2016 product key online , microsoft office visio professional 2007 trial product key , sWoybW
office pro 2016 buy
windows 10 product keys and iso download
Genuine windwos 7 pro keys and download
windows server 2016 essentials key sale online
buy cheap windows 10 professional product key

Stephanie on Tuesday, January 22, 2013 4:43 PM
I still love to color and that fort looks like a place I want to go to right now! My son has a lot of drayons and I had thought about melting them but I love this idea of the crayons and blow drying them. he is 8 so it is somethhing he can do with me and truly enjoy. Thank youf ro the terrific ideas, now I have to get moving on them!

replica omega on Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:47 AM
Thanks for sharing the descriptive moral of the story.

replica rolex on Monday, March 24, 2014 5:07 AM
The end manufactured records shall be found in September the place it should execute an important factor job during the place released progression that could be likely to get started during the latest coint for this year or so by just eliminating hesitation together with associated risk meant for together business opportunities.

Event Organizer In Jaipur on Friday, July 25, 2014 3:53 AM
Please keep sharing more and more information.

adres internetowy on Tuesday, August 05, 2014 4:38 PM
various forms of quality functional to a room or space that you could look for a thing suitable sells a floor design, but probably assists them how to turn out to be established from the apartment

adres www on Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:35 AM
In the 1st solution, we have total regulate in the procedure for entering then getting abs particularly to take care of.

Best Wedding Photographer in Jaipur, on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:04 AM
It's really a nice and helpful piece of information.

Event Organizer In Jaipur on Tuesday, August 26, 2014 1:04 AM
I read your article to learn a lot and hope to see your next article

Wholesale Lingerie on Tuesday, September 02, 2014 8:52 PM
Wholesale Sexy Lingerie,High Quality!Low Price! Wholesale Leggings,Plus Size Corsets,Wholesale Halloween Costumes From China Suppliers LingeriePark.Wholesale Only,No Retail!

Melbourne Wallpaper Suppliers on Monday, October 27, 2014 10:13 AM
These days picture is the most popular to beautify walls. There are contemporary picture in market. It contributes shade, style to the walls. It can change our feelings.

reflexology on Wednesday, January 06, 2016 3:23 AM
Offering service to help youngsters as well as their loved ones, is just portion of their function, additionally, they give expert assistance coaching as well as data. Your rely on enables youngsters as well as their loved ones to help communicate upwards and stay observed.

swiss rolex on Thursday, March 24, 2016 1:57 AM